It allows you to keep connected with people who have already seen you online, as they continue to browse the web. Whether you want to raise brand awareness or increase sales, a well thought out remarketing campaign, with excellent visual graphics, shown to your visitors over days, weeks or months can be very effective. Plus you are able to track your results.
Remarketing occurs when a cookie is placed on the person who has visited your websites computer or device - if they meet the criteria you have chosen, for example, an abandoned shopping cart. Quite simply, if someone is “cookied” your ads will follow them around the web with related offers, or information.
You can control how often (impressions) an ad is shown to an individual daily, how long the cookie stays, and how long you run the remarketing campaign for. And people can choose to not be remarketed too also.
Remarketing does cost. Ads are managed through Google Adwords and are shown on web pages (or mobile apps) visited by your target audience (Google Partners sites), eg. Stuff.co.nz, The Herald, Trade Me. You will have a monthly advertising budget, then there is usually a one-off set up fee and a monthly management fee.
There are different forms of remarketing including standard remarketing, dynamic remarketing, remarketing lists, video remarketing, and email list remarketing, some of the features available with these include:
- Reaching people on a variety of devices, across websites and mobile apps, after they have interacted with your website.
- Showing ads to previous visitors to your website who are actively searching on Google or Google Search Partner sites.
- Creating remarketing lists to achieve specific advertising goals, for example ‘abandoned shopping cart’, ‘not submitted inquiry form’, visited a specific service page, ‘already purchased’.
- Showing previous visitors ads that contain products or services they viewed on your website as they browse the web.
- Showing ads to people who used your mobile app or interacted with a video on your YouTube channel.
- The ability to upload your personal (or business) email list, so when these people are signed in to Google Search, YouTube or Gmail they will see your ads.
Remarketing will show your product or service to people who are genuinely interested, and when executed correctly it can be a powerful tool to enhance your brand profile and / or increase sales.
If you have questions, please get in touch.
Written by Kathleen Boyd.