There are over 200 factors that impact where your site ranks. These include site and page quality, freshness of content, your user content, your location, and more. Google has a very simple interactive story here you can scroll through to see how it all works, click here to see. And when you get to the bottom of this story, you can see live spam screenshots of things that are currently being removed from Google.
Actions to take now
- Search for your business on Google and see what pages come up. If there are out of date directory listings, update these or remove.
- Use keywords in new page urls, titles, headings, copy, image names, and alt descriptions on images. Don’t go overboard; contrary to some belief repeating the same word/s over and over will see Google treat your website as spam, rather incorporate and coordinate these keywords into your website.
- Generate high quality content pages.
- Ask your clients for a testimonial; video testimonials are great.
- Have a link to your website in your email signature, cross reference your website and social media platforms on all your marketing collateral.
- Start a blog for your business to grow your audience and position yourself as a thought leader.
- Create good quality backlinks to your website by completing these items (as applicable to your business):
- Set up Google My Business – this is a place to list your key business details, and if you have a physical location, Google Maps is a must.
- Create a LinkedIn profile and business page.
- Set up social media platforms that will enhance your business e.g. Facebook / Pinterest / Twitter.
- List your business in online search directories.